Saturday, September 15, 2007

Balancing your Nutrition


Recently I discovered a free web-based calorie-counter while I was searching for some information on dietary requirements and balancing macronutrients (Carbs, Proteins and Fats) for humans. Being curious, I thought I'd take a look - even though I have a natural aversion to 'counting calories' as I've found that it can really put a big mental strain on clients who already have a poor relationship with food and nutrition and it can then have the effect of putting the focus right back on quantity rather than quality of nutrition.
From the home page of My Calorie Counter you can sign sign up for a free calorie counter and nutrition and exercise journal; link to the community they have developed and get all sorts of great information. For a small price you can subscibe to a premium membership and have access to some extra features and services that allow you to determine your own targets with regard to macronutrients and track how your intake compares to those targets.

I've been using it for the last week and half and have found it especially useful to help me spot where my nutrition is lacking and how to boost it. For those of you who are vegetarian, or have food allergies or intolerances, I'd highly recommend you pay a visit and make sure you're getting enough proteins, carbs and fats to allow your body to maintain good health. Although I thought I was eating a good balanced and varied diet, what I found was that with my all my food intolerances including the impaired ability to ingest and digest meats, dairy and gluten containing foods, my nutrition was sorely lacking on the protein count.
With a bit of fiddling and experimenting, this week I've learned just HOW important legumes and spinach are in the diet of non-meat eaters and have managed to tip the balance more in favour of proteins.
I'm going to keep tracking my nutrition for a while yet as I have some more learning to do. For anyone else who's keen to take a look at their nutrition balance, or simply keep a food and exercise journal in the one place, I highly recommend "my calorie counter".