Monday, October 15, 2007

Gluten Free Sourdough experiment


In keeping with my 'back to basics' practice for nutrition, and the fact that I'd really like to find some bread I can eat every now and then that's gluten free AND without preservatives, I've started a sourdough experiment.

Why Sourdough, you ask? Firstly, it's Interesting: a real sourdough loaf lasts for seemingly ever in relation to 'standard' breads found in packaging at Coles and Woolworths, and most bakeries. Case in point was the Bills Organic Sourdough loaf I purchased when a friend of mine came to visit recently. Apart from the fact that it didn't have any sugar or other preservatives in it, my friend commented on how delicious it was. She only stayed for a couple of days, so the bread then sat in my fridge for about 2 weeks before I rediscovered it. Funny thing was, it was in fantastic 'nick' and didn't have of the mould I had expected to find. That was the interesting thing: no preservatives and no mould - go figure. So I did some research about sourdough and I'm pretty sure I've blogged that experience at some point so won't repeat myself here. In short sourdough has some great natural qualities that are borne of it's extra preparation time (the way bread used to be made) including ease of digestion and spoil resistance.

I'm not brave enough to try the "more easily digestible" gluten containing varieties, but I like the taste and the sourdough principles, so I'm having a go at making my own.

At present, on day three, two starters of organic flour and water are being cultured in my kitchen and it seems the natural fermentation process has started. All the info I have suggests that it will take up to two weeks to create the starter and THEN I'll have a chance to bake my very own sourdough..stay tuned to see whether it works out or not...